This important and rare 19th century Queensland gazetteer is now offered as an inexpensive and searchable CD. It contains 'the most recent and accurate information on every place in the colony' in 1876 - a wealth of information for historians and genealogists. It will also interest the general reader with its many insights into the 19th Century Queensland and several thousand localities. There are entries for towns and villages, lakes, rivers and creeks, islands, bays, hills and mountains, runs and other localities and features. It often gives latitude and longitude, populations, proximity to other towns, local industries, services such as coach and mail runs, hotels, churches, schools and much more.
After the main Gazetteer there is a 66 page listing of approximately 3000 runs, with the pastoral districts in which they are situated, the names of their lessees, and the next post towns. A fuller description is given of those runs in the settled districts.
EXAMPLES OF ENTRIES - for a telegraphic station and small township
TENNINGERING (Co. Bowen) is a telegraphic station near Mount Perry, which see. Tenningering police district had, in 1875, 1253 horses, 44,401 horned cattle, 596 sheep and 361 pigs.
LAIDLEY, 27° 35' S. lat., 152° 86' E. long. (Co. Churchill) is a, postal and telegraphic township and railway station on the Brisbane and Toowoomba line, situated on a creek of the same name, the Lockyer creek being distant 9 miles. Laidley is the centre of an important agricultural and pastoral district. The nearest places are Gatton, W.N.W. 9 miles, and Grandchester, S.E. 6 miles; the communication, as with Brisbane, 54 miles E., being by railway or road. There is one hotel, the Plough inn. The township is under the control of a road board. The surrounding country consists of undulating low ridges and mountains to the S.E. and S.W. at a distance of two miles, with black soil, loam, and sand plains and open country of considerable extent The population in and about Laidley township is about 500 persons. There are three places of worship, belonging repectively, to the Roman Catholic, Presbyterian and Congregational denominations. There is a racecourse to the E. of the township, distant one mile. The population of the town and district are all farming. There is one primary school, with 150 on roll-book.
Larger places have much more information
In addition this volume includes many advertisements, themselves giving an insight into 19th Century Queensland
Note: the map published with the original is not available in this CD edition.
Click here to download a sample file (0.5 MB) including title page, preface, contents pages and sample directory pages. This requires Adobe Reader to view. (right click on the link and select save as - then load the saved file to view).
The whole 320 page gazetteer is searchable, including most text in the advertisements. It is useful not only for finding names, but also places, occupations and other information.
High quality scanned images of the whole of the original book. This CD can be viewed by any computer using Adobe Acrobat Reader (version 4 or later recommended). The data on this CD is completely self-contained, and requires no installation.
System Requirements: Windows 95, 98, 2000, NT or better, CD-ROM drive, Adobe Acrobat. Also suitable for Macintosh or Unix operating systems.
Summary by Archive CD Books Australia